Monday, 10 December 2007

Ginger Cookies in the making

P, our host picked us up at the Aildhem Centrum for the ginger cookies baking session. We were warmly greeted by A and P's daughter, C. We had 'Glogg'-the Scandinavian version of mulled warm red wine,a typical traditional drink for the Swedish during Christmas.Almonds and raisins were also mixed with the beverage. It was indeed an excellent 'welcome drink' for me as it warmed me up from the cold, and it tasted especially superb in the warm, cosy kitchen of P, despite my empty stomach. Oh yeah, we also had traditional Swedish Saffron buns with the shapes of cats (well they were supposed to look like one at least;)). Pretty delicious and a perfect complementary to the 'Glogg'.We made ginger bread after the "brunch"(for me),and we had great fun.A,B,A, I,C and P ; all teamed up to make ginger bread of many different shapes: Love, star,man, angel,pig, moose,women and lots more. Then we started baking and decorating them with M&M candies and sugar cream. All in all, it was really something being able to immerse into a Swedish family, baking Swedish ginger cookies.Our day was capped with a nice dinner (toasted bread with seafood toppings, cabbage soup with meat balls, Julmust (another Swedish typical drink during Christmas-the taste is like cola+beer) and Swedish waffle.. Ah, we also played the compatibility game before we called the day off.Speaking of A, she's just so cool.Being probably in her forties or more, she has an amazing collection of music!!Anja and I saved some songs in my USB including some Swedish ones for our listening pleasure.Also not forgeting Christmas songs to keep me company during the festive season:)We also chatted with 2 of P's daughters and it was really interesting to learn about Swedish social welfare. Honestly, I am amazed by how Swedes are taken care of despite the high taxes. Additionally, I've grown accustomed to the warmth and generosity of this family.Oh, did I also tell you that A lent me her 'super warm waterproof' red trousers, to keep me warm during my coming trip to Kiruna? I am speechless-I just love this family: warm hearted, nice,kind, friendly and open.

No comments: