Thursday, 20 December 2007

Brain Drain?

I read with a great interest the article “Brain Drain is Color Blind” by Dina Zaman. I was caught by her words: “One must be practical. Sentimentality only works in fiction” (http://www.thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2007/12/20/focus/19820231&sec=focus). It makes me contemplate on my future. I am on the verge of my studies and inevitably at the crossroads of making one of my biggest decisions in life. Perhaps I might be one of the potential “brain-drainers”, leaving my own country for a different (better?) life abroad. Felt guilty? Maybe a tinge. Not too sure of the term “different”(or "better" as some claimed) because in my opinion the term is very subjective. I guess part of me is still Asian-rooted, despite being exposed to many Western cultures and norms. I am definitely open yet I hold to my Asian values too. However, one thing I am pretty sure is that I am always looking for challenging experience, professionally or personally. No, I never thought of my country as being “not the better one”. Neither have I ever thought of forsaking my motherland. How could one compare an apple with an orange? They are just different in their own unique ways. But again, quoting Dina’s phrase, feasibility should be the priority; sentimentality comes later. Despite the love for my country, family and friends, somehow, the practicality spells career, professional and personal goals. Yet, I do desire stability, security and a real home. On the other hand,exploration has always been part of me. I guess,you’ve just got to know what you really want in life, regardless where you are. They say, a home is built on dreams and hopes. I have my dreams and hope. Most importantly, I believe in God and I have Faith in Him.

1 comment:

Amy said...

Ironically, just a few hours after I wrote this, another Malaysian friend of mine sent me the link to the same article!