29th May 2009
As you read the heading of this post, you may wonder the content of this posting.
I am tempted to discuss further the meaning of these French terms which are Savoir = to know and Faire = to do, which brings the combined meaning as to know and to do or more appropriately it means to know how to do. Or it simply means know how.
Well, I do not mean to write about French verbs, but rather to introduce you to a pretty good French restaurant in London- 'Savoir Faire' . Apparently, one has to book in advance to dine in Savoir Faire as it was frequently fully booked, particularly during the weekends. Fortuitously, the restaurant was not fully booked yesterday, hence the adventure of me dining in.
I was invited to this full of character, fancy yet 'down to earth' and value for money French restaurant. We each had 2 course meal. I've ordered the French classic grilled pernod mussels with garlic butter, and boy it was just perfect ( I couldn't find a more appropriate word to describe this yumminess). To my surprise and delight, it was the best mussels I have ever eaten, beating the pot of mussels which I've tried in Brussel a few years ago. It was well packaged and absolutely delicious. Then came the main, which was the duck magret with spicy grilled pears and orange with honey sauce. Unfortunately, somehow the meat was not as tender as I would have expected. Nevertheless the recipe and the way the chef cooked and presented was commendable. Also, I did have a bite of the lamb. It was tender and tasty. Although I am not actually a lamb eater, the taste left me dumbfounded!
Although this place doesn't look classy as a French restaurant should be (or at least to the standard I would have expect), yet the restaurant was cosy, with many paintings on the wall, hence highlights the artistic surroundings. Even the toilets' walls held pencil sketches which was pretty pleasing. The service was not bad and we did not wait too long for the food to arrive. The restaurant also offers more space downstairs which gives diners more space to enjoy the food and the French environment. I guess that justified the service charges which was handwritten over the bill.
I do not mean to overrate this restaurant, but I truly recommend the grilled mussels(I've tried to 'google' for a picture of the grilled pernoud mussels but I can't find one to explicate the uniqueness). A good place for a rendez-vous or just simply to have a good French cuisine out. I have been to another French restaurant a few months ago near Weybridge and the mains and environment were good. However, as compared to Savoir Faire, somehow the latter made me feel more 'French', inspired by the mussels and the artistic character. Savoir Faire, as the name claimed, certainly know how to bring out the best Frenchness to its customers.
If you would like to take your chance of trying French cuisine at this place, check it out at: http://www.london-eating.co.uk/2459.htm
Don't just take my words, try it yourself, s'il vous plait!
Saturday, 30 May 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Ah, mais je voudrais aller aussi:)
Allez, go and try it. The mussels are highly recommended!:)
Post a Comment