During the early May Bank Holiday, five of us took a road trip to the Lake District.
1st May - A, drove us all the way from the meeting point Edgeware Road, London to Hawkshead on the Friday evening. Despite the exhaustion & excitement after the close escape from an accident, we 've managed to arrive the YHA at about 12 midnight, thanks to the skillful driver & the Satnav.
2nd May-After breakfast, we headed to the Grizedale Forest. It was an inspiration walk through the village, hills and forests. The 3 hours walk lef us rather tired, but nonetheless enjoyable. That was the only which I have felt the sole reason we chose Lake District- to enjoy the nature. We went back to YHA for lunch (we had pasta) before driving to Coniston where the Donald Campbell was trying to break a world record but instead sadly died there. We had Indian Nasi Briyani for dinner.
3rd May- On our way to Kerswick, we stop by at Castlerigg which was the Stonehedge equivalent. I was rather impressed by the stones and how well they were maintained, albeit not charging the visitors any entrance fees. We checked in at Dentton House in Kerswick. A maze, a travel mate classified. I would saythat the place is with a character-looks more like a kindergarten to me, yet not almost is. ah, inexplicable. We then climb a hill but returned as the rocky routes deterred me to proceed. Instead, we left for a stroll at the little town of Kerswick. I like this town too with the unique buildings with 'old' character, very unlike the modern and tall buildings in London.
4th May- We left after breakfast for Windermere. The raining wheather spoilt our initial intention for sight-seeing and shopping. We ended up having cakes and tea/coffee in a cafe, overlooking the wet and pretty commercialized yet highly recommended town. We decided to leave and had lunch at the highway KFC on our way back. Ha..it reminds of the highways in Malaysia where motorists could stop by for KFC, McD or even Baskin Robbins.
After about 6 hours drive, we have finally arrived London-our HOME!
I thank God for the safe journey and the great time together with friends. Satisfied in a way but yet exhausted. Ironically, the exhaustion was only felt the following days right after the trip.
All in all, it was a good trip. Somehow, I still felt something is missing.
Perhaps I desire more time for taking the trip more slowly; strolling down the green path in the forests and along the serene lakes. I desire more time for relaxation and taking more deep breaths, inhaling deeply the fresh air and imagining living the life of Beatrix Potter when she was writing and drawing pictures for her stories centuries ago. It's inexplicable what I really wanted. Perhaps in just two words which explicate what I really desire."Carpe Diem".
It reminds me of the following saying:
"What is this life if full of care,
We have no time to stand or stare?"
Yeah, I guess I want to have more time to stand and stare...that is what really matters.Lake District- a great place for relaxation, if only I have more time to spend there.I hope to be back.
Monday, 11 May 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment