Saturday, 25 July 2009

Growth requires Change

"There is no growth without change; there is no change without fear or loss; and there is no loss without pain."

The quote above caught my attention as I was browsing a link a few days ago. It left me dumbfounded and kept me thinking for a while.

I have summarized the lessons learnt:

In order to grow, we need change. But change doesn't come easily or freely. Change requires fear and loss of some kind. With loss, there comes the pain where you need to let go of something which may be dear to you for instance your comfort zone, loved ones or the past. When you really let go freely of the old, then only you can fully savor the new.

I began to reflect on my life. Ironically, I am undergoing some change. I've changed my job recently. The job requires a steep learning curve with more responsibilities in a totally new business environment, norms and people. Challenging, stressful and demanding. This is change, which is no doubt painful at the beginning as strong abilities to adapt and learn quickly are required. Nonetheless, I strongly believe that the process of change per se will lead me to growth.

As one of my friend quoted to me; “NO PAIN, NO GAIN." I could not agree more.

I do appreciate my job very much, as well as the added responsibilities, because through the pain and fear, I will eventually learn to overcome all these weaknesses for a stronger and better me. I do embrace growth; I would certainly embrace change, regardless of the pain.

On second thoughts, is this really a pain after all? I reckon, once I've overcome these challenges, I would then be in my comfort zone (again). I may even enjoy and love what I am doing; hence there would be no more loss, fear and pain. So, there shouldn't be any fuss at all.

Personally I think growth is a positive thing. Change is one of the ingredients towards achieving growth. As for the loss, fear and pain, I reckon they are probably temporary. It's a matter of time and a positive mindset for one to let go any OLD experience to really enjoy the NEW (Growth). I know sometimes it is easier said than done. But really, everyone has to move on in life. One just got to be optimistic in the LIFE journey. Well, that's my two cents opinion. :)

No comments: