Tuesday, 8 June 2010

Cash & Materialism

I've learn one thing from the sermon last Sunday

"I give, and I learn to let go the grip of materialism."

Life is not about materialism or how much cash you have. I think most importantly, we appreciate what we have now which money cannot buy such as happiness, love, friendships, relationships, and life itself. Eventually, we will leave this earth and obviously we will leave all the material things which we have stored on earth. We can't bring them with us. What left with us, truly are the memories of the life we have lived in.

Humans are naturally greedy. I have seen friends who desire more cash/rewards for instance higher salary, more bonus even though they are blessed with decent jobs. On a higher end, I have friends working as expatriates in foreign countries , earning big bucks and living a more than a decent life. Some wanting even more material benefits, whilst some are keen to serve. On the other hand, I have also friends who were struggling to look for decent office jobs after many attempts whilst working as temp workers in coffee shops.

A story below inspires me :

A guy who earn $30 now, lives on $28.He donated all of his savings $2. A year later, he earns $60, still lives on $28, and he donated $32. 3 years later, he earns $100, still lives on $28, and he donated all if his savings $72. 5 years later, he earns $1500, this time he lives on $30, yet he donated all of his remaining $1470.

He says to himself, "The more I give, the more I can let go of the grip of materialism. I feel FREE! ". How many of us are actually selfless enough to actually do that? Give up all of your savings to serve God and others in need and live life to the fullest, with no regrets and without any material motives?

Every moment, THANK GOD..

No comments: