Sunday, 18 October 2009

The Catalunya Experience - Girona

2nd Oct 2009 (Fri) – Girona

I took the 8.50pm plane from London and arrived at the Girona airport at about 12 mid night. I met A, who flew from Paris for our weekend rendezvous. After getting lost for a while or making the dawn discoveries of the town in our very own way, we’ve managed to reach the hostel at about 1.30-2.00am. :)

3rd Oct 2009 (Sat) - Girona

After barely a few hours but sufficient sleep, we headed to the broken wall on the east side of the town to start our very own discoveries. The central location of the hostel and the accessible size of Girona allowed us to visit the attractions by foot without much hassle. During our 7-8 hours exploration, we have managed to visit two Cathedrals and even witnessed a local wedding. We had our brunch in a cafeteria at the square in front of one of the Cathedrals. We took our time slowly, enjoying every moment of the medieval city views, while savoring the toasted sandwich and a hot cup of cappuccino.


Hah, for a moment I felt life is beautiful! Beautiful weather, nice company, great medieval environment (always my cup of tea) and most importantly I am on holiday, away from the busy lifestyle for a moment! :) A good catch up with a friend from faraway in a place I want to be with the sunny weather made the trip even more enjoyable. What more could I ask?

We walked up the remains of the medieval walls and towers towards the Arabian bath, John Lennon garden, and headed back to the opposite directions to the medieval town itself. Girona itself is a nice place for shopping whilst strolling through the small lanes which brings out the locals' culture and life. The architecture of the buildings resembles some of the smaller cities in Italy and they have equally fascinated me. Strolling through the labyrinth of the Jewish quarters also brought back the imagination where, when and how the Jews once lived many thousand years ago. Throughout all the strolls, I have never once felt without the mystical aura of the medieval town.


On the bridge, we were trapped in between the Onyar River which separates the city from the old and new.. Being the usual artistic and sentimental me, I can’t help imagining myself in a time clock. Over to my right were the modern office buildings where our train station is situated. Over to my left were the historical sites, buildings and the colourful old houses and the ever impressive small lanes in between the medieval buildings. The lanes, lamp posts, doors and old architecture of the aged buildings never failed to amazed me. Like many old medieval towns, filled with priceless thousand years of histories and hidden (untold) stories, I’ve grown accustomed to Girona.

No comments: